Wednesday, April 18

a delight

Last Friday I was downtown attending an AIDS training - which just happened to be near my favorite place...the Central Public Library! I've been away from it for a couple of months because of busyness (and an unpaid late fee!) I decided to stop in and browse for fun. To my delight, they had a new art exhibit up in the Getty Gallery - the art of Fred Marcellino. He's an artist that died in 2001 and did a lot of book-cover illustration and then later in life, many children's books. Some of his most known books are Puss in Boots and I, Crocodile. I'm always impressed with the little shows that this library gallery puts up...and this one was particularly great for me. First of all, children's book illustration is just wonderful (when it's good.) Such a blend of fantasy and reality and imagination! And I really enjoyed getting to look up close at so many fantastic specimens of colored-pencil work. I really have never been in love with colored pencils...but seeing the great work they can produce, under skill, really makes me want to give them a chance! And who knows...maybe one day I finally will write that children's book - and fulfill my 4th grade teachers prophesy on what my future profession would be!

Another delight, was tonight. I've been attending this new church the last couple of months - which I really like. And tonight was the first night for small groups to meet in homes. We're doing a study on the book of Ephesians. And it was just a really unexpected delight for me to get excited about learning and talking about the Bible with a group of Christians! It's just not something I've been excited about for a long time...so it makes it all the more delightful. I think there's good things in store for that group :)

No comments:

Post a Comment