Wednesday, May 16

<<< art show >>>

This Sunday was the art show. It's a good thing that I don't live in the same town as my Mom - because that would have made for a difficult Mother's Day! (Latinos actually always celebrate Mother's Day on May 10th...so their official holiday was last Thursday.)

Anyhow...the art show was a success! There was a good turn out of all sorts of people. We got everything done in time. There was also a short movie showing at the opening, which went over really well.

The movie was a short documentary made by a group member, Daniel, who's attending film school. It was a piece done on his younger half-brother who never had a dad in his life and is now a new dad himself at 20-years-old. It was a really amazing, intimate look into the feelings his brother had. Afterwards Daniel answered some questions and it was amazing to hear the reconciliation and communication that was opened up in his family through making the movie.

I did end up putting in my series of paintings on displaced people...I titled them "dis(PLACED) people" I got some positive comments on them during the show. (Aunt Pam - you should recognize the animals!) I'm really looking forward to the July 1st show - we're doing it around the theme of "liberation." It should be really good!

This week is very busy - I have a statistics test which I didn't get to spend any time preparing for this past weekend because the art show took up so much preparation time!

I still need to share some info from the conference I attended too. On Monday, while I was teaching one of my 7th grade classes I added in some information on trafficking, prostitution, and trafficking - some important things about those issues that the kids need to be aware of...it was cool to be able to have that platform!

"So then you are no longer strangers and sojourners, but you are fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus, himself being the cornerstone, in whom the whole structure is joined together and grows into a holy temple in the Lord; in whom you also are built into it for a dwelling place of God in the Spirit." Ephesians 2:19-22

3 comments:

  1. I really like your pieces. Very different from anything I've seen you do before. I like the simplicity, use of color and shape, etc. Very nice. Well done, little sis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Miss, I do recognize the animals. I like your work, of course!
    Peace and love,
    aunt pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:54 PM

    You'll have to tell me more about your art themes. Very nice. =)jess

    ReplyDelete