Sunday, September 23

a lovely day

Today was lovely. It was the perfect sort of early fall day. There was bits of rain and bits of perfect blue sky with puffy clouds. The sun was mostly out and it didn't make you hot, but you just got to enjoy its warmth in between slight, soft breezes.

I love fall. I was so pleased to leave town a couple weeks ago and escape the heat. That was the first transition. Then when I was gone again last weekend that even progressed it. Then as I came home this week to off and on rain and a new second job...it feels as if fall is in full swing. I wish I had a fantastic poem about fall...if any of you out there do, please post it in the comment section. Surely Thoreau must have written something wonderful about this season.

Adding to the loveliness of the day was that I finally got to go down to the shop and do some work on my Studebaker. I've been doing some reading on restoring car interiors so that I can do some of that while the engine is being replaced. Today was the beginning of that project for me. I took out all of the seats and gave the inside a good washing out and scrubbing down with a wire brush. Now that it's generally clean and can do a rust treatment and then seal it off to prevent any further rust. (Top picture is the interior floor before cleaning and bottom is after...it may not look too clean, but let me tell you it's MUCH better and ready for the next step now!)

I had such a wonderful time just out there by myself. I'm glad the shop has that extra space on the side that provides me with space. It made me envious of people with their own nice garage that they could go to every day after work. How marvelous would that be! I suppose it's best this way...I wouldn't want to get TOO absorbed in the car world. But I do have a bit of a job on my hands...which are currently a wee bit sore and dirty from all the scrubbing today!

Other then that I've failed to mention the past two long weekends. First on a camping trip in Big Sur and then last weekend to Montana. (Unfortunately no pics from either, sorry!) Both were so wonderful - but it's really too late to expound on them. I returned this week to work every night at my new second job at a fifties-style cafe. It was either that or this other corporate restaurant. It's a gamble which one I would make more money at...but I definitely like the independence of the small cafe, and besides, I fit in nicely and think it'll be lots of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment