Monday, July 14

art, washington, and friends

I was extremely lucky to be able to make a quick jaunt up to the Seattle area last week for my friend Troy's mural unveiling/ art show. Troy is one of my favorite people in the world and also a fellow artist. Although Troy is like a genius artist - he just draws things without even thinking about what he's doing - he's never put that much effort into actually intentionally creating "art." He has however, put a ton of effort into creating this mural for roundabout the past 2 years. Much of that time was spent erasing what had been put up...but through all of the backtrackings of the artistic process...he finally got it completed - and it really is one of the most magnificant works of art I've ever stood in front of. Never have I felt so absorbed by an artwork, content to sit and look at it for a long, long time. And it's neat, because it's in a staircase with a sunlight up top - so light is always changing. The night after the art show I went to look at it in the dark, and the water/dove part was nearly glowing from light that was filtering in from the lower door. It's a really amazing peice of work and my friend is even more amazing. In fact, all the people up there at Tierra Nueva are fantastic people...it refreshes and nourishes my soul to be among them.
Other then the artshow, it was also a going away. Troy left for Paris on Sunday and will be gone for a year. The day after the art show we got to chill at the lake, which was like the camping trip that I don't have this summer :) I also got to spend time with my friend Christen who also happens to be an artist. We met in San Francisco when we were both living there and she is a dear and kindred friend who it's a joy to connect with! Check out her art-blog here.
Other then that - I fit in a second surfing trip last week (not as successful due to waves and bathing suit) and hopefully there will be a third this week! Soon enough I'm going to need my own board!
I've been enjoying life at the house. Letting myself just be. Working on art. Hanging out with people. Life is in a good process :)

1 comment:

  1. please email me more pics of mural - I think it's fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete