Friday, October 13

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - haircut@loma beauty salon

answer: i did get my hair cut! A good 4 inches or so and it looks much better...it had been over a year since my last one (i know that's kinda gross!) My neighbor Carmella and her daughter Cynthia accompanied me, as I was going to a neighborhood salon for a "corte de pelo" (haircut). And a good thing, because Ana who cut my hair didn't speak ingles. As I was sitting there with the drape around my shoulders and all of my hair wet, I felt oddly helpless and like a little kid. Carmella and Ana were speaking together in espanol while all I could do was sit there. I was reminded of older immigrants trying to function in cultures where they don't speak the language...particularly healthcare settings where a younger individual has to translate for them. They're put into such a position of suplication within a culture that's foreign to them. Not that my experience today was that extreme...but it was just a little taste of how it may feel. Interesting.


*no reply from my professors yet!
*tread group came to my neighborhood this tonight, it was really cool to have them around mi casa.
*i bought a pair of jeans today. should't have spent the $ but i think these actually fit, and besides mom gave me $ long ago to replace the old ones i've been wearing for a good 7+ years!

No comments:

Post a Comment