Saturday, October 7

Milk and cookies...mmmmm....


I've been wanting homemade cookies for weeks! And here I am, at this moment, sitting to enjoy them! There are oh so many things I’ve had to write!? Time has been getting away from me! For one, I started my job, so I’ve been at work 72 hours a week. I’ve been managing to get reading done there, but it’s really too bad I can’t get internet – because I have GOT to get to work on my PA school applications. I have so much to say I don’t know where to start?
How about “life in the week of”… (Although it’s still shifting) Beginning Monday morning, I arrive at work at 6 am. I already shared I don’t love my job all too much. And the people at my company are crazy for consistently working 72-94 hours a week! Luckily, there has been some redemption at my job this week – through my patients. From the man with the newly done heart transplant, to the little old lady alone in her house, to the 40 day old preemie born 15 weeks early, to the young man at the jail, to the officer at the jail that I was talking to about prostitution, to the USC emergency room, to skid row and all around town. There are such a vast number of things going on in this world we just can’t even imagine. I do like the private glances into others’ realities that my job offers me.
Tuesday morning I come home and get ready to go to InnerCHANGE prayer. They meet together once a week to pray…for folks in Innerchange, for this city, for people they know, etc. It’s a good opportunity to gather together with them and I feel a real sense of togetherness of heart for this place. They are amazing people and I’m lucky to be around them. After that Tuesday can turn into all sorts of things…basically doing what’s on the top of my list. Be it errands, PA applications, spending some time with neighbors…and on and on.
Then Wednesday back to work…repeat.
Thursday. Well THIS Thursday I had been getting behinder and behinder in sleep – and I don’t normally like to go back to sleep after I work, but this week I slept all the way until 10:45. Part of my justification for that is I’m now going out on Thursday nights with a group of people to do prayer walking. And basically that could mean all sorts of things. Whether we just observe what’s around, maybe someone starts talking to us, maybe we figure some things out…it’s basically just putting ourselves out there in the neighborhood and seeing what comes up. I’ve posted Ben’s description of our first night out in Hollywood a couple of weeks ago. It was great. And I came upon the somewhat amusing and somewhat bothersome realization of how much place effects us all, which was evidenced by Monte. He talked on and on about his story which involved all sorts of things having to do with the movie business. If Monte were in San Francisco, he would have been talking about the crazy hippy heydays and our government keeping us from peace. I’m excited about this prayer group for a few reasons. The girl who runs in I met when I was in Thailand. And there’s all sorts of crazy connections there. But also, I’ve desired for some time now to venture into a place where I have a more intimate connection with God…and I think some people in this group can help to lead me there. Now…the first thing I think of when I say these things are crazy Pentecostal Christians running around speaking in tongues or something…but, fear not, that’s not what I mean here. It’s hard to explain. It’s deep, it’s good. And another reason this group is cool, other then they’re just some cool people, but they’re people who are becoming open to the need in the city. And where that leads to down the road, who knows, it’s just exciting.
And onto Friday, work again; I’m getting tired by now.
Saturday morning I’m off at 6am and come home to get ready for my 8am class. I’m taking Microbiology this semester because PA schools want a micro lab. So that’s until 3. And then I’m pretty much beat.
Sunday I’m trying to make my Sabbath. Which is supposed to be a joyful day of rest. Sometimes it’s hard to do that. Kim and I have been trying to check out various nature spots around…which it’s nice to get out of the city every so often. And Sunday evening I go to church. I’ve decided to go to this church called Mosaic. It’s kinda really trendy and hip and techno-savvy, and I don’t know how I feel about that. But the Pastor is a pretty amazing teacher. And it’s close to my house, and it meets in a nightclub (I like church in the dark,) and I’ve already met some great people there. Sooooo….that’s my week! I’m going to sign off and finish enjoying my cookies…and the terrific feeling that Fall is finally arriving!

No comments:

Post a Comment