Saturday, November 11

new steps

Well it's been another full week! Highlights of this week are: job interview, sitting on the beach, laughing, dancing, talking to new people, looking forward to my parents coming, speaking to my neighbor in Spanish, and painting!
On Thursday I had an interview at a community clinic in the area for a health educator position. I found it by chance on a community clinic association board. And the educator position is specifically for talking to junior high and high school girls about sex education/ pregnancy prevention/ etc.!! Exciting...that's right up my ally! The interview went really well - they did interview some other applicants and I'm supposed to hear on Monday if I got the job. I think the only reason I wouldn't get it is because of the possibility that I'd only be working there until next August (if I get into PA school.)
At my ambulance job, I had a couple of interesting standby's this week. One was a highschool freshman football game. There was 4 incidents! 2 were minor, 1 I just sent in with his parents, and 1 had to call 911 out and have him transported to emergency. He had a tackle and got his head snapped back and was having extreme neck pain with very little ability to move his legs. I think he'll probably be okay, but we had to immobilize him and all until they make sure he didn't brake his neck or anything like that. After he got put in the ambulance his teammates got in a huddle and some of the little guys had tears in their eyes...it was so sweet, poor fellas, worried about their teamate.
The other interesting standy was for 9 hours yesterday at a studio filming set. It was the same studio that they filmed "I Love Lucy" in, I fit right in with my red hair! It was an MTV set for this new professional wrestling show they're doing. Yesterday was their last day of rehersal, so they were mostly just working out all the camara angles and stuff. But all of the wrestlers were there and it was just so interesting! Such a random and crazy mix of people, but they were all friends, and they were also all very friendly and came over to us and said hi. I think they were surprised to have two pretty EMT's show up.
Last night I was up until the wee hours dancing the night away! It's been awhile since I've been dancing, and I've really been feeling it. A new friend of mine from work does alot of dancing, and he took me out to this latino club...I was the only white person there - it was SO interesting! I felt like it was this little secret place that I couldn't have just gone into myself. But it was so fantastic...the music, the dancing, the people!
I had to wake up early this morning for my microbiology class...but it got cancelled. So I'm really tired, but maybe I won't go back to sleep. I'm excited because my parents are arriving for a visit this afternoon. It will be good to show them around my 'new life' here in LA and also we'll be heading out for some LA sites which will be new to me too :) I will post the pictures in a couple days!

No comments:

Post a Comment