Wednesday, November 15

yesss!!!!!!!

tada!.........I got a new *good,* *meaningful,* *exciting* JOB! I found it last week (totally by random), posted on the Los Angeles Community Clinic Association website. It is for a health educator position at Wilmington Health Clinic specifically to teach sex education to mostly junior high and some high school girls! Super exciting! The technical description of the position is: "The Community Health Educator is responsible for coordinating and implementing a pregnancy prevention program in middle and high schools as well as community agencies serving teens. The Community Health Educator will also update and/or develop education materials as needed."
S0unds exciting, huh!? I'm super excited about it! It's a 30-hour a week position, so I'll have to supplement my income a bit somehow (I do have the server gig.) And it's so exciting to finally, finally, finally have a job that I'd love to do even if I wasn't getting paid! A little bit funny that I came to LA wanting to work with prostitues...and here I am teaching kids about sexuality. ??? coincidence ??? I think not.

I told my ambulance company about the new job today (I just found out today myself). I was willing to work a shift per week...but they didn't want me...so friday will be my last day of that. Yeehaw! My new job starts Monday...updates are sure to follow!

On another subject...I got to do some graffitti art with a couple of neighborhood boys. There's 2 middle-school aged boys in my complex who are pals and who are interested in urban art. I'm super-excited they're into art and we've been having little 'art chats.' This weekend I gave them some acrylics and paper and they did some really cool pictures. I had a project that I wanted to do for this urban health conference this weekend, so thought maybe it was a good time to include them in something. So we made this peice on cardboard (it says 'life' for those who aren't fluent in graffit-writing.) One of the boys dad's walked by and I don't think he was happy that his son was spray painting though...I've got to figure out what to do about that. I know the parents of the other boy, and we had already talked about it. I think I should try to talk with them a little bit more about graffitti and how it's an art and how I hope to be able to encourage the boys some in other forms of art so that they have various avenues through which to express themselves.

1 comment:

  1. So miss, you are on you way. We love you and are so proud of you.
    Aunt Pam and Jay

    ReplyDelete