Monday, December 11

Not everyone gets to hear mariachi music out their window!

What a weekend! After a full day of work and school Saturday, Sunday was full too! You know, it's so interesting working these party events for the side job. It's just such a contrast to the rest of the areas of involvement in my life. This week I was at a beach house in Manhattan Beach. It was a really modern house, it seemed almost entirely made of glass! It was a toy drive/benefit. And people came dressed up and ate fancy food and schmoozed...it seems if they really wanted to help they would do something better with their money. There I go being harsh again! I'm not against celebrations. I'm not against the rich spending their own money. And I realize that feasts and celebrations have always been used as social markers. But when our (and mine too) "normal" keeps getting raised higher and higer...more and more luxurious...where does it leave us? Working more, to pay for things we don't need, and keeping what is rightfully ours instead of spreading the wealth more evenly! Rah! Anyhow, all that ranted...I really enjoy stepping into different worlds and Saturday night was no exception.
I got to step into a few other whole different worlds on Sunday. I went to a mass. I ate fabulous Ethiopian food for lunch and went to a little Ethiopian street fair. Then I hung out with some neighbors, which was fantastic. It's so great when there's people just sitting in front of my kitchen window and I can open it and ask if they want any Abuelita! (Abuelita is like a mexican hot chocolate.) So I got a chance to hang out with the ladies some, which was awesome! I also got to practice my spanish and was fed dinner. New food group: pork skin. And wait there's more...Christmas ornament making with the neighborhood girls. We made little angels out of popsicle sticks, fabric, bottle caps, and ribbon...they turned out great. Our house was crazy for a few hours! But it was well worth it!
When I came home a little earlier, there was a gathering across the street in front of a shrine raised for the Lady Virgin of Guadalupe, whose annual festival was yesterday I think. Anyhow, there was a full mariachi band playing. I got to hear the fantastic music while I ate a late taco dinner from the taco truck...and they were really tasty tonight too! Maybe I am acclimating to LA (SF is known for their burritos, which I miss dearly...I haven't traditionally been a huge taco lover, but tonight's would give a SF burrito a run for it's money!)
And now I'm off to bed for some sleep that I missed this weekend :)

No comments:

Post a Comment