Wednesday, August 22

picture of the day

"Leaving aside the mysteries and the inequities of human talent, brains, taste, and reputations, the matter of art in photography may come down to this: it is the capture and projection of the delights of seeing; it is the defining of observation full and felt." -- Walker Evans

Girl in Fulton St.
American, 1929
Walker Evans
I have an idea for a new painting series contrasting the simple happiness amidst trials of the depression era in contrast with the sorrowful overabundance of today's youth (think Paris Hilton, etc.) So I'm looking for some good picture protraits that show a simple yet complex joy...if you know of any such pictures - send their references my way. The closest I've found thus far is the "Migrant Mother" by Dorthea Lange. This is no such picture, but I like it alot and thought I would share it - plus I really like the photographer's quote.

Looking at these photographers pictures imbues in me a desire to travel the deep south in search of a more agrarian society. I know it's by no mean what I make it out to be in my romantic notions of it. I think one thing that draws me to such a culture is the slowed-down-ness of life. For example...it's like when I went to Thailand the first time and was out in the rural areas. People had time to sit and chat. They yearned to learn about me and share their stories. They praised me for the couple Thai words I could speak. Then when I returned last time and was only in Bangkok, the large city, I found that people didn't have time to try and decipher my Thai - me trying to practice it only seemed to irritate them. They were too busy to try and share their lives with me or look past my American tourist exterior.

Living in the big city - that's what I miss. The context and safety to connect with strangers on a deeper level. Anywho...

No comments:

Post a Comment