Monday, November 5

weekending [1.2]

ahhh...a productive and nice weekend! It began Friday night with getting together with another artist and collaborating in creating some posters for a human trafficking event that some acquaintences of mine are putting on. I set that art up Sunday afternoon, it looks great. There's about 7 large posters that Natalie and I made - with art and statistics/info on them and then my three large heart canvases.

Saturday I woke up early to go down to the shop and work on my car. I got all the foam put on the seat frames - so now they're ready to upholster. I also cut out the particle board for the door and side panels. I was a little tired and was moving a bit slow. I was also semi-hesitant to get started with cutting foam...because I've never done this before and was scared of doing it wrong....but I think it's going to turn out quite nicely. I do however believe I need a little more fabric then the stuff I already have to finish the interior. When I bought the fabric I have, the plan was to make cheap, temporary seat-covers (I only spent like $40 on clearance fabric). Now that it's turning into a full on upholstery job, I'm considering buying some better stuff. Any opinions on this print??? It's Hawaiian barkcloth and costs $30/yard. The colors match the car quite good and I could put in a dark grey carpet.

During Saturday's car-working my friend Greg, from the shop, and I went out to lunch and decided to try this cafe just next to West Coast Choppers headquarters (which is just a couple blocks from the Stude shop). Anyhow...it's kinda a hot rod hangout and they were also having some sort of a show at WCC. It was fun to walk into such a place like I really belonged (with the dirty overalls, white tank, and tattoos to prove it!) And even funner that I belonged as an actual car person and not just "the chick of" a car guy!!

Saturday night I worked of course and Sunday I was able to spend the day with 2 of my old Mission Year roomates. Anthony from Hawaii (who's here working on some movies for a little bit) and Shannon who still lives in Oakland with husband and 3-year-old son. We had good times catching up, going to the park and the Hollywood sign. 3-year-olds do limit the activities...but it was good to hang out with him too (albeit nice to have quiet at the end of the day!)

Today officially began the "writer's strike." Which perhaps isn't big news around the rest of the country yet - but is here in LA. One of my customers at the cafe today said it's bound to last until new years! It will begin to affect alot of people's livelihoods here in los angeles by then. Hmmm...interesting times...writers on strike, even more actors without jobs followed by all the production, catering, tech staff...all sorts of people. Maybe this is a good time for us all to start reading more books!

No comments:

Post a Comment