Tuesday, March 6

i left this out

A couple weeks ago I had my first counseling session at work. Being a health educator at the clinic...this is in my job description - particularly for teens coming in. However, seeing that I'm not actually AT the office all that much, it's not like the clinic staff really thinks to send anybody my way very often. But...I was there after school got out this day and a girl came in very worried that she could be pregnant.
I had been looking forward to this sort of one on one contact - but when it showed up I was caught a little off guard! This girl was still in middle school. She had just started having sex that same month. The day before, the condom broke. She was terriffied. She didn't know she would be dealing with this. She didn't know she could come to the clinic for birth control either.
The reality of the situation really hit me.
I've been spending the past few months in junior high and highschools talking to kids about sex/sexuality. Proud of some because I can see they're making really smart, mature decisions - and unsure of others because they're trying to come off like little players. As I've been spending so much time in the classroom - perhaps I've forgotten a little the reality of why I'm there...kids are having sex and they don't know what they're getting themselves into.
Argh - if they all could have more positive influences in their lives! If the media and our society didn't degrade sex so much! From views of the kids in my classes - it's as if they have the impression that pleasure and fun is the most important thing - there's no need for true restraint or true respect/consideration/protection of the one you love - it's something that everyone is doing and why think of denying yourself that pleasure, or even that "need".
Well...that's my rant. I think the girl that came into my office was probably in the clear as far as pregnancy went, this time. She said she wouldn't have had sex if she'd known this would be the consequence. Reality hits.
What is it about sex and sexuality that runs so deep? It has such far reaching affects in our lives, ones that aren't readily identifiable even. We need to be able to see what it means to have a healthy sexuality. We need to be able to celebrate what true, real sex/sexuality is and means.

No comments:

Post a Comment