Friday, March 9

what's a name???

Yes, it's Friday night, and I'm enjoying a fabulous night at home alone! I did venture out this afternoon for a bike-ride to the record shop (my first visit.)...and of course a jaunt to the laundry mat! (it's been about a month!) I'm really excited about the record store because I got these little "donuts" that go inside of 45-rpm records so I can play them on my record player, since the adaptors that came with it don't actually fit on the middle spindle! Anywho...on my jaunt I also went to a new coffee shop which was fab-u-lous! I felt like it was a cozy-new-i-fit-in-here-better-than-san-francisco coffee shop. It's all 50s of course, and they play fabulous music! All their tables are 50s kitchen tables and chairs and there's a little 50s lamp at each table, and they play great jazz-western-swing music! It's just a couple miles from my house.
Anyhow...what prompted me to blog this evening was (I'm supposed to be doing my taxes but they're somehow evading me!) I was looking on this super cool website that has lots of free fonts to download, and I'd typed in my full name to see the samples of each font. So I've been scrolling through pages with my name typed out many times over in different fonts...and it dawned on me, it's a little odd...the names we're called by and given. Kristin...I'm known as kristin and I always have. What if my parents named me something different. Come to think of it, a friend was telling me the other day that he knows some people who had a baby about 4 days ago...and they STILL haven't chosen the baby's name!! They're just calling it "baby" for the time being....doesn't that seem somehow wrong?! It's as if just because it doesn't have a name, it doesn't have an identity. In all reality...it does in fact. But it doesn't seem like it does. It's like if I suddenly decided to change my name to marge...I think something about my identity would change also!
Okay...this is all very random ramblings...so I should get back to other things also evading my IRS-duties!

No comments:

Post a Comment