Saturday, January 14

"I'm leaving on a jet-plane..."

THE LAST NIGHT/ JAN 11th

The event: dinner with 'my people' (aka: housemates)
What I ate: rotolle pasta with meat sauce, green salad with ranch, and yummy garlic bread
Unexpected frivolities: doing the airplane with Loni


AND FINALLY...dun dun dun....0 DAYS LEFT!!!!

I did finish my packing but as I had been talking about for a week, didn't get those emails signed out. By the time my flight came, I was just ready for it to be over with. I realized while standing in line at the airport that this is my first travel adventure that I've taken by myself. It was a strange feeling- and to the surprise of many of you (since for some strange reason you think I'm uber-corageous) -I was a little scared.
About 30 minutes before my flight boarded I had this rush of fear and self doubt. I journaled "I feel like I'm going to show up for a formal ball dressed instead for a costume party."
A few hours into the plane ride all of those doubts left me. Oddly enough my redemption came through the cute trays of food we were bought for a meal. I was flying with an Asian airline so of course the crew, most of the people flying, and the food was Asian too. The tray of food was the cutest thing, a lime green color with a irredescenty-colored placemat. Various sizes of lime green holding containers with fruit, rice and chicken, cake, bread, and salad, and the daintiest little glass cup. All of my cultural curiosities and excitement came rushing back to me and I was ready to plunge into what may come rather then reverting inward. YAY asian airplane food trays!

FINALLY ARRIVED/ JAN 14th...very early in the morning

After about 18 hours of flying the torture was over. (Although I must report the torture wasn't as bad as previous flights - although unavoidable- as I was better prepared...and had a nifty little DVD player.) I looked out the dark window as we landed and couldn't believe the darkness I was seeing out of it was Thailand. I was so excited to be greeted by that wall of heat when I exited the airplane...but unfortunately there was too much air conditioning. Jeff greeted me at the airport and reported that as a special greeting for me he had parked the car right above the sewer grating...so when we exited the air conditioning and I met the fabulous heat, I was also greeted by an awful stench....welcome to Thailand.
I quickly went to sleep for quite a while, then woke up for a hang out day at the house...then persevered through until my 10pm (thai time...add 15 hours to California time) bedtime. And lucky me, som tum (one of my favorite Thai dishes...aka: papaya salad) was made for dinner.

So....in closing...I'm safe and sound in BKK...I love you all...more adventures to follow....

No comments:

Post a Comment