Tuesday, January 30

old and new neighborhoods

I was spending time at home tonight and decided to turn into my old pal of a radio show...Prairie Home Companion...and what do you know, the January 13th episode was done in San Francisco!!! Go figure, I wasn't there to see it...but it's nice to know it was there, and none other then the Stairwell Sisters were musical guests - this is the band that I saw in many a small coffee house and they're also the ones who would call the square dances! Ya'll can hear the show too by clicking here --> Prairie Home Companion Jan 13th show

Closer to the homefront...I've had some interesting connections in my neighborhood this week!

**I met with a health teacher at Belmont High School...which is just a few blocks from my house. Over 4000 students go to this school, it's the largest in California! The teacher said the students are well behaved, but have no motivation - he fails about half of them :( He also said there's not really any programs going on within this school to speak of.
**On Sunday I ventured out and went to a new church - I loved it. But more importantly, I had arranged to have lunch afterwards with a woman who does works with pimps and prostitutes. It was really exciting to meet up and it sounds like she'll be a terriffic connection for me!
**I get to be part of an artgroup! My artistic brain has been shut-up and dwindling as of late, letting out small outbursts of protest every now and then. But, last Friday I got to go to an art group meeting of some various folks in my neighborhood...I'm excited about what we may do together and encourage each other towards.
**Neighborhood Fun Fact: My fabulous roomate Kim (pictured here in leiu of the many random pictures I post of myself) is doing a neighborhood study for one of her classes this semester...so of course she's studying ours. Some of the year 2000 census figure for my hood are... Population in 1 square mile: 6739. Property renters 99.999%...only 6 people out of 6739 owned the house they lived in. Percentage of people who don't speak English: about 25%. Percentage of people who speak English very well: <10%.

No comments:

Post a Comment